Saturday, September 26, 2009

German: Dative Reflexive

Vocabulary

to brush (teeth): putzen
to comb: kämmen
to get dressed: sich anziehen
to shave: rasieren
to wash: waschen (a-->ä)

Dative Reflexive Pronouns

mir
dir
sich
uns
euch
sich

Accusative Reflexive Pronouns

mich
dich
sich
uns
euch
sich

Use of the reflexives

The accusative reflexive is used to say you are doing something to yourself but the dative reflexive is used in certain situations that English doesn't use the reflexive, especially in terms of hygiene.

Example

I wash myself.
Ich wasche mich.

I wash my hair.
Ich wasche mir die Haare.

The difference being if the only object is oneself use the accusative, if the object is you doing something to yourself, use the dative

As you can see to say I wash my hair what you are literally saying is "I wash mysslf the hair(s). When you make a quesstion like are you washing your hair it becomes "Wäschst du dir die Haare?

Note: the an before anziehen, this is seperable, which means that to say I am getting dressed you say Ich ziehe mich an, NOT ich anziehe mich
Posted by Anonymous at 12:33 PM |  

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)